24 Hour Cycle Challenge 2021

 

In September 2021, Tom Mouse and I cycled 215 miles (346km) in a 24 hour period. I averaged 12.1 mph (19.5 kph), with an elevation gain of 9089 feet (2770m). To add to the excitement, I included cycling to the highest points in five counties of England; Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Essex and Cambridgeshire. The cycle was very tough, but fun with support from friends in the early stages, and magical at night and into the dawn with a range of animal nightlife for company.  


Pictures from the challenge are shown below: 

(sorry, not a great range of pictures; much of the time I was in the dark ...!)




Ready to go … I left home in Letchworth Garden City at 10.30 on a Monday morning in September. 

 

 

Complete with my reminder of the five county high points!


 







 














First stop, after 26 miles, Dunstable Downs – 797 feet, 243m, the highest point in Bedfordshire. An early refuel with Fiona, John & Michael. (Fiona & John rode over 70 miles of the route, starting with me in Letchworth. Michael joined us at Dunstable Downs for the 40 mile loop to Wendover Hill).







 

 











We headed on a further 14 miles to Wendover Hill – 876 feet, 267m, the highest point in Buckinghamshire. Photo with Tom Mouse.











 



Plaque on the stone marking Buckinghamshire’s highest point.










 

 

 

We head on over the county border, near to the village of Hastoe, and to the edge of Pavis Wood at 803 feet, 245m, Hertfordshire’s highest point. I have now covered 45 miles, and at 15.30, I am some 5 hours into the challenge.













Another pitstop, this time for a Magnum (an ice cream, not a hand gun), at a garage in Houghton Regis. Thank you John! 

 


 



I pick up the pace, riding to Bedford, then stopping off briefly at Shuttleworth.







 

… then at a shop in Langford, Bedfordshire to refuel with elite athlete nutrition … it is 20.30, I am 10 hours into the challenge and I have covered over 100 miles.





 

… crossing over the A1 … all quiet …











  

 

I arrive back home at 22.45 for a pit stop & refuel, at the end of my planned “stage 1”, having covered 130 miles at an average of 12.9 mph.










I am off again just after midnight into Tuesday morning, full of pasta, on “stage 2” heading to Cambridge. 





 

It is around 4 in the morning when I reach the village of Great Chishill, 479 feet, 146m, the highest point in Cambridgeshire.






 

… over the county border from Cambridgeshire into Essex and on to the village of Langley Upper Green, by Chrishall Common the highest point in Essex at 482 feet, 147m.






… it is around 7 in the morning when I arrive at the village shop in the Cambridgeshire village of Litlington. The shopkeeper asks how far have I come, and is taken aback when I reply “about 180 miles” (later I checked & I had actually done over 190 miles!). After eating 6 chocolate tea cakes, I set off just as the heavy rain starts. I am wet through within minutes.







Back home at 8.45 on Tuesday morning, twenty-two and a quarter hours since leaving at 10.30 on Monday: The last couple of hours in pouring rain. 









I have covered 215 miles (346 km), with an elevation gain of 9,089 feet (2770m), and been to the highest points in 5 counties (Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Essex). I had been turning the pedals for 17 hours and 45 minutes, excluding stops, an average speed of 12.1 mph (19.5 kph).







Very tired, soaked through, but happy. I had done a great deal of training and planning, but the challenge was still one of the toughest ones I have taken on, with torrential rain for the last two hours. It was at times magical too; cycling through the night and into the dawn with an abundance of animal nightlife for company. And emotional; it often feels to me that my son Tom is with me on the challenges that I do.

Thank you for your support.

 





No comments: